Eating In? Try This Easy Vegan Italian Red Sauce Recipe
Because you won’t be going out to eat any time soon, I recommend trying out some new recipes to spice things up in the kitchen! Just because you’re *safe* (not stuck) at home, doesn’t mean you can’t eat well. But let’s be honest, you’ve got a lot going on. So make it good but make it easy.
Here is my favorite easy vegan Italian red sauce recipe!
1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano peeled tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 tsp of red chili flakes (to taste)
5 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt (to taste) & Pepper if you want
Basil (6-8 large leaves)
Follow Your Heart Parmesan Cheese Substitute
2. Pour those tomatoes into a large bowl. Use your hands, begin to crush those suckers like it’s your damn job. As you crush, feel around for leftover skins and hard core parts and disguard those. No one likes hard parts in their tomato sauce.
3. Once your tomatoes are nice and crushed. Turn pan to medium heat (Pro tip: cast iron is recommended because they actually add necessary iron to your food)
4. Add your oil to the hot pan. Once the oil heats up (about a minute) add your red chile flakes and sliced garlic.
5. Saute until garlic begins to brown (don’t burn it now!), then add the tomatoes
6. Stir it up and salt to taste
7. Simmer that shit for about 10 – 15 minutes
8. Add your basil leaves to the top of the sauce and allow them to start to turn color. Once that starts, shove them into the sauce and stir IT UP!
9. Serve over you favorite pasta, add some sautéed veggies (I like broccoli, toasted pine nuts and the yellow and zucchini squash), and top with some cruelty free Follow Your Heart parmesan cheese substitute
10. Stuff your face!
You can store any leftover sauce in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for another time.
I hope you enjoy this sauce as much as I do!
J.Fisher Interiors’ studio is located in east Austin. To schedule your consultation appointment, please fill out the contact form or call us at 512.954.0904. We would love to hear from you!